Clearing Yard, Chicago

Belt Railway of Chicago's Clearing Yard was built in 1902 by Chicago & Western Indiana and Chicago Great Western, and acquired in 1912 by BRC, owned by 12 railroads, including Santa Fe, Burlington, C&O, GTW, IC, L&N, MoPac, Soo, and predecessors of Conrail and Norfolk & Western. Clearing was promptly rebuilt, and at the time (1912) was the largest in the world, with 54 tracks in each of its westbound and eastbound classification yards, and was rebuilt again in 1937-38 Today (1995), there are 36 classification tracks in the westbound yard and 56 (since 1952) in the eastbound yard, with associated receiving (25 tracks east, 15 west) and departure (25 tracks east, 20 west) yards. In 1995, the yard was classifying 3,000 cars a day, and the line was switching over 150 industries in greater Chicago. There were 17 eastward manifests and 14 westward manifests originated a day, with only seven of those being transfer runs to other Chicago-area yards.

The yard lies east-west, between the IHB (and former Alton) at Argo and the former Wabash at 75th Street.

The 1995 traffic flows in the eastward direction were:

The 1995 traffic flows in the westward direction were: