Oak Island yard was built by the Lehigh Valley Railroad in 1903 or thereabouts, and has been rebuilt at some later time. It became part of Conrail in 1976, and is now in the Conrail Shared Assets terminal area. It has ten reception tracks, an automated hump, 30 relatively short classification tracks, and nine departure tracks. In 1999, it classified 800 to 1000 cars per day.
The yard is on the east side of the Northeast Corridor, east of Newark, New Jersey. It is the only major yard in the New York City metropolitan area.