The first Northern Pacific hump yard was opened in 1955, at Pasco, and had three receiving tracks, 47 classification tracks and six departure tracks. The receiving yard was expanded to five tracks between 1969 and 1971, when the hump was computerized. In 1996, the yard classified 1700 cars per day, in 14 long-distance trains plus four locals. Since then, the yard has also become one of the northern termini for the re-established north-south trains using the Hi-line to connect with central and southern California.
The yard is located on the east side of the Pasco-Spokane line, northwest of downtown Pasco.