Russell Yard

Russell Yard dates back to the construction of the C&O in the late 19th-century, with its largest form dating to the 1950s and 1960s. One hump, used for coal, had 54 classification tracks, and another, used for manifests and opened in 1959 had 32 reception tracks, 32 classification tracks, and 36 departure tracks. Coal traffic changed over to unit trains, resulting in the closure of the coal hump in 1995, while traffic changes on CSX resulted in the closure of the manifest hump in 1991. In the 2000s, the yard is used mainly for the inspection of run-through trains, mainly unit coal trains.

The yard is located on the north side of the former C&O main line, between that line and the south bank of the Ohio River, east of the former C&O bridge across the river on its line north to Columbus, Toledo, and Detroit.