Newark to Mingo Junction Capsule History

The Mingo Junction to Newark line was built by the Steubenville & Indiana in 1854-55, which became part of the Pittsburgh, Cincinnati & St. Louis (the "panhandle") on its foundation in 1868. The Pennsylvania Railroad gained control in 1871, and fully integrated the line on instituting a regional control system in 1920..

Much of the line was singled by Conrail in the months between March and August, 1981. Through traffic was removed from the line in December, 1981. The signal towers along the line started closing in January, 1982.

In 1992, the line between Newark and Gould was sold to the Caprail Corporation, owner of the Ohio Central, and operated as the Columbus & Ohio River Railroad (CUOH).